There Is Beauty In Purpose

There Is Beauty In Purpose
Glacier National Park In Spring

Friday, May 27, 2011

RE:Purposing The Bones of a Building

I am a true believer of saving all or parts of building before they are demolished or made "modern".  I had the honor of sitting on a board at the outset of saving a historic Middletown, Connecticut landmark, The Wadsworth Estate for which I have attached the link.  Unfortunately, the latter part of the estates life, before she was revitalized, led to people stealing the architectural bones that made the manor beautiful, gone were the marble floors, cherry, maple and oak banisters, mouldings and stairs, really what was left was a shell.  I know that no reputable RE:Purposer of note acquires these things by illegal means.  However, it was the reputable RE:Purposers who assisted in restoring the Wadsworth Estate to its former glory. 

That being said, one of my new favorite place to find things to use in RE:Purposed ways is Architectural Salvage, Inc in New Hampshire, great folks, great business.  I have also attached their link in this post and on my favorites list.  Support the people who do the right things by honoring the craftsmen that created the beauty in what we want to salvage by patronizing a business that does just that.  It is truly a way of paying respect to the work and the sweat it took.

http://www.wadsworthmansion.com/

http://www.oldhousesalvage.com/purchasepolicy.html

Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment