Happy Almost Summer!
For many reasons, I always do my spring planting on Memorial Day Weekend. Probably because there is just a little more time with three days rather than two and certainly because maybe, just maybe, here in New England the frost is gone.
My father, who will be 86 this year, is a Purple Heart decorated Marine who served his country in the South Pacific during World War II, when he was just 16. He loves to garden. To keep him busy, I will invite him over to help me weed. I am sure that may sound mean spirited to some of you, but to us it is father/daughter time doing something we love: getting out hands dirty and making things grow.
I look back and think maybe this is the real reason I put in my spring gardens on this particular weekend. For all of the sacrifice these soldiers gave with their lives, rather than put a flower on a grave, enjoy peace and life within the garden.
No comments:
Post a Comment