There Is Beauty In Purpose

There Is Beauty In Purpose
Glacier National Park In Spring

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Back To Basics

Good Day RE:Peeps,


I grew up in an idyllic neighborhood setting.  It was a planned community, designed around cul-de-sacs, with large grassy "greens" in the middle.  The land was an old dairy farm and part of the overall charm was the farm buildings and outbuildings, oddities and eccentricities were left in tact for our wonder and use.  Talk about a RE:Purpose!  As children, every one's parents were your own, you never had to cross a street (the neighborhood was designed with small child friendly tunnels so you never crossed the street walking to school), you had tens of built in playmates, there were no X-Boxes, Wiis home computers, we were not overweight kids.  We were very curious about nature, played flashlight tag, climbed trees, were culturally aware because we had such a broad spectrum of neighbors, we had it all. 

Recently, I created a group on Facebook just for the original kids of this neighborhood, the response has been overwhelmingly kind, nostalgic and pure fun.  This picture is of the barns as they were, turned into a community center, used for meetings, staged productions receptions and Girl Scout meetings.  The silos were also part of the farm, used for hay storage and feed storage.

I do not advocate in the slightest destroying family farms, there are far too few and this was 45 years ago.  Too bad we can't learn lessons like the RE:Purposing that was done here.

1 comment:

  1. I love what you're on to here. I am looking forward to watching what develops. I am a big fan of re-purposing. I even wrote a book about it for teen girls. There is nothing like making something your own!

    ReplyDelete