I am consistently saddened when folks want to remodel and old home, co-op, walk up, pied a terre and don't see the value in salvaging the architectural detail and integrity, they simply gut the place. I am torn between loving and loathing the businesses who make it their business to gut a place and then resell the tear downs at remarkable and sometimes absurd prices.
However, I cannot stop shopping those places. I occasionally find something that I can RE: Purpose, but more often I find myself imagining where the item, adornment or whole room came from? What were the original owners like, what did they do for a living? What would they think about where their vision ended up?
The next time you are out and pass an old building, look up, enjoy the detail and wonder......
Lindsay
Here is one of my favorite places to wonder...
Making more room in the kitchen
No comments:
Post a Comment